Neste vídeo a gente vai conversar sobre a palavra “would” e as 4 formas SUPER fácies de usa-lo!
Use e supreenda!
Situation #1: polite requests and questions
- Would you like some wine? – Você gostaria de um vinho?
- I would like a hamburger, please. – Eu gostaria de um hamburger, por favor.
* Contraction of would is ‘d (I’d, you’d, she’d, he’d, we’d, they’d)
Situation #2: 2nd conditional – hypothetical/unlikely situations in the present or future
If + past simple, would + infinitive. Would + infinitive + if+ past simple.
- If I were you, I would marry Tom. – Se eu fosse você, eu casaria com o Tom.
- Megan would go if she had a ride. – A Megan iria se ela tivesse uma carona.
Situation #3: 3rd conditional – things that didn’t happen in the past and their imaginary results
If + past perfect, would + have + past participle. Would + have + past participle if + past perfect.
- None of this would have happened if I hadn’t had all your support. – Nada disso teria acontecido se eu não tivesse todo seu apoio.
- If I hadn’t run through the airport, I would have missed my flight. – Se eu não tivesse corrido no aerporto, teria perdido meu voo.
*would have = would’ve pronounced as “woulda”
Situation #4: used to (past habits)
- My grandpa would make the best pancakes. – Meu avô fazia as melhores panqucas.
- Billy would make me cry nearly every day when I was in first grade. – O Billy me fazia chorar quase todos os dias quando estava no primeiro ano.
Want to practice with music! Check out these songs and practice the uses of “would” while singing along!
- “With a little help of my friends.” – Joe Cocker
- “If I were a boy.” – Beyoncé
- “If I had a million dollars.” – The Barenaked Ladies (This video has all the lyrics!! )
So tell me…
What would you do if you had some extra time?
Where would you travel to if you could go anywhere in the world?
Let me know in the comments below! 🙂